Re: OpenJDK and the Free Java Packaging Roadmap

Marcus Better wrote:
>> And please... if you have ideas for interesting libraries and/or
>> applications to package please add them to the wiki.
>
> Please, that's the umpteenth wiki page with requested packages. For instance
> there is
>
>   http://wiki.debian.org/Java/RequestedPackages

O.K. Thanks for this!
We didn't see this page(yes, we might be blind, as it's linked on the
very top of the main Java page, as I see now), and up-to-dateness of
most of the java pages was quite unclear.

So Tom came up with the idea to start a new page, and add a date in it's
name, so it's clear it has to be reviewed and rewritten and then renamed
next year.
(o.k., now when i write this I am not sure if this is the best way to
reach better up-to-date wiki pages,  but that's what we thought was good.

The page above is defintely better for the application list. I'll move
the entries to this list.

> which is longer

Yes.

> and has my fancy links to bts-usertags-status-pages :-)

I see one entry(maven2) having and additional status link apart of the
link to the RFP/ITP bug page(s), and there is no information behind it.

> Perhaps a more productive way to keep track of requested packages would be
> to usertag the ITP/RFPs, so that an up-to-date list can be retrieved from
> the BTS. (Alternatively a script could dynamically generate a web page
> somewhere.)

Would be good if we could add some kind of "java-package" tag, so
instead of listing things manually in the wiki, and adding links to the
BTS, we just link to the one page in the BTS that show all stuff tagged
java (and ITP/RFP/already packaged stuff in a sortable fashion).

Then we have one datastore for every information related to the
packaging of these apps.
The wiki would only be used to document general stuff needed to do for
packaging these apps.

Henning

P.S.: Apart of that, there are many things that could need a cleaning in
the Java area of the wiki, for example what does it mean to Java/Sun and
Java/SunJava... I'll try to merge such things wehnever I have some
minutes left.