Re: GNU/Linux Java Policy and Packaging

* Tom Marble:

> 10. Filesystem conventions (FHS) for runtimes (e.g. /usr/lib/jvm)
>     and libraries (e.g. /usr/share/java).

I think we also need to decide if we want to ship something under
/usr/share/java which can be ripped out and redistributed outside the
system, or if we follow the usual rules of the distribution.

For instance, many packages include a private (renamed) copy of the
ASM framework.  It's generally expected that such copies are replaced
with references to a system-wide copy, to reduce the maintenance
burden (in the C land, this happens all the time with libraries such
as gettext or zlib).  However, such a modified .jar file would not be
redistributable (in the technical sense).