Sun's OpenJDK in Debian?

Hi,

I'm surprised that this wasn't discussed already in the past on this list
(or in the BTS of some important java packages), but what is the status
of Sun's Java architecture in Debian?

It is licensed under GPL2 and should be compatible with DFSG.

As far as I know only a few components are not yet freely available,
especially all which are subject to the Assembly Exception
(http://openjdk.java.net/legal/exception-modules-2007-05-08.html,
http://www.sun.com/software/opensource/java/faq.jsp).

Is this the main blocker for accepting OpenJDK in Debian? Would it be
possible to just omit the binary modules or to replace these with free
implementations from other free projects?

Please CC: me.

Jens