Re: Sun's OpenJDK in Debian?

On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 10:12:55PM +0200, Jens Seidel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm surprised that this wasn't discussed already in the past on this list
> (or in the BTS of some important java packages), but what is the status
> of Sun's Java architecture in Debian?
>
> It is licensed under GPL2 and should be compatible with DFSG.
>
> As far as I know only a few components are not yet freely available,
> especially all which are subject to the Assembly Exception
> (http://openjdk.java.net/legal/exception-modules-2007-05-08.html,
> http://www.sun.com/software/opensource/java/faq.jsp).
>
> Is this the main blocker for accepting OpenJDK in Debian? Would it be
> possible to just omit the binary modules or to replace these with free
> implementations from other free projects?

Yes, this is a big blocker for this. We are working on icedtea, a
temporary fork of openjdk, which tries to replace the the closed source
parts. This is mainly discussed on the openjdk mailing lists and on IRC.

Michael
--
 .''`.  | Michael Koch <konqueror@gmx.de>
: :' :  | Free Java Developer <http://www.classpath.org>