Re: maven2 for Debian

Hi Trygve,

On 3/5/07, Trygve Laugstøl <trygvis@apache.org> wrote:
Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> On 3/4/07, Manfred Moser <manfred@mosabuam.com> wrote:
>> On Sunday March 4 2007 09:27, Michael Koch wrote:
>>
>> > I have built a preliminary Debian packages for Maven 2
>
> [...]

To me the answer is obvious. As a user Maven should behave just like
upstream Maven, meaning that it will download from the internet and
install stuff under ~/.m2/repository. For a user having Maven download
to ~ is just the same as the user manually downloading the jars from the
project's CVS.

Maybe but I'd like an administrator to be able to override the default
settings and to force Maven to ask the root password to install the
package or to send a mail to root to let him/her install the
package... from a Debian (only) repository.

For the dpkg builder Maven should still behave like Maven *but* with
some environmental changes it can comply with Debian's rules. If there
us a repository like you're suggesting under
/usr/share/java/maven2/repository and Build-Depend on the other packages
they will be included and Maven won't ever go out on the internet to
fetch packages.

The only problem are the existing packages but they can either be
updated with symlinks under the repo or a tool to create a dummy repo
under a temporary location can be used.

Can we have a repository with files to describe where to find the
jars? So that way, we don't even have to modify the location of all
our jars.

The only change that has to be done to the upstream sources is to add
the repository reference. That way there is no need to change the Maven
sources (yay), but you'll have to change the upstream pom.xml. Another
option is to add the repository to the root pom but then it will be used
for all builds which might not be optimal.

But 1° that's the only way to be sure the installed packages have been
built by DD and so, you know who is responsible for the bugs and for
the software to be DFSG; 2° that could be overriden by another
pom.xml, isn't it?

[...]

> I'd like something like a maven repository maintained by Debian
> Developers (all our debian-java packages installable by maven).

Maven really isn't that different from Debian and it should be fairly
easy to integrate Maven into Debian's build system. I'm still around and
are still offering my support to do any changes you need in the source
code and can help to maintain patched upstream or downstream.

I was not speaking about the build of maven, but about the repository
you maintain at ibiblio.

The only requirement I have from the Debian packagers is that Maven from
Debian still behaves *exactly* like Maven from Apache from a users point
of view. If not I will not and can not support it in any way. This is
imperative to the success of packaging Maven 2 in Debian.

I understand your point of view and respect it. But as we are
responsible in some way of the software we package and distribute, we
cannot distribute a software for Debian that could install non free
software in all ~'s.

We have to discuss about that.

Maybe creating a "debian-restricted" mode or something like that and
the user would have to add something in his/her envvars or in the pom
file to override the restriction.

Ideas and comments welcome,

--
Arnaud Vandyck