Re: Sponsoring Packages

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007, Marcus Better wrote:

Matthew Johnson wrote:

Package: libunix-java

Please choose a less ambiguous name.

Ambiguous in that it's ambiguous as to what it does (in which case
libunixsocket-java?)

Yes, sounds better.

Currently the lib and jar provided by upstream are called
libunix-java.so and unix.jar; should those also be renamed (and
references to them in other upstreams that depend on them? Or is the
package name just the problem?

Well, to use it you need either a Java runtime or a Java compiler, and
not all compilers are also runtimes so...

Please see the Java packaging policy for the recommended format of these
fields, and have a look at other libraries in Debian:

~$ apt-cache show libxerces2-java | grep ^Depends
Depends: classpath-common | java1-runtime | java2-runtime, libjaxp1.3-java

The policy only says they must depend on java[12]-runtime, not that they
can't depend on the compilers. I think it is perfectly valid to only use
them with a compiler; however, since all compilers must depend on the
runtime by policy it is fairly academic and will remove the depends if
that's the generally held view.

The policy and that package use java1-runtime | java2-runtime, but the
runtimes use java-runtime as well. In fact, only sun-java5-jre and gij
use java2-runtime, where as kaffe and sablevm use java-runtime. Gij uses
both, but sun-java5-jre only uses java2-runtime. Which is correct?

Matt

I was told on here that you had to use a specific Java environment for
building to get predictable results?

Yes, but depending on java-gcj-compat-dev is enough, and then you cannot
assume a particular version of that. Check a few other packages for a
comparison.

So the make line would be:

$(MAKE) JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj JAVAC=/usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/bin/javac JAVAH=/usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/bin/javah JAR=/usr/bin/fastjar PREFIX=/usr JCFLAGS="-source 5.0" all

I forgot there were symlinks (I just used readlink -f to get the actual
file alternatives was pointing to).

I've also re-worded the descriptions and combined the hexdump into the
debug library. The resulting package is at http://mjj29.matthew.ath.cx/debian-upload/libmatthew-java/

Thanks for the advice,

Matt
--