Re: Sponsoring Packages

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007, Marcus Better wrote:
just some quick comments.

http://mjj29.matthew.ath.cx/debian-upload/libmatthew-java/

Your package contains about 40 source files and builds five different binary
packages. How do you justify this? Why not simply roll the classes into the
main package? Since your classes appear to solve problems that should have
existing solutions (such as printing DOM trees), couldn't you just use one
of the standard solutions that are already packaged?

I was going to do them all as one, but they seem rather disjoint. I
packaged them on the Java package split I happened to have. They can
easily be built as one if preferred. The debug and unix socket libraries
are what I really need, I just figured I would package the rest while I
was there.

Package: libunix-java

Please choose a less ambiguous name.

Ambiguous in that it's ambiguous as to what it does (in which case
libunixsocket-java?) or as in which unix socket implementation it is?

Depends: ... java-gcj-compat | java-runtime | java-compiler ...

This dependency looks strange, java-compiler should probably be removed.

Well, to use it you need either a Java runtime or a Java compiler, and
not all compilers are also runtimes so...

This library provides classes to pipe a stream through an external
program, print DOM trees and split an output stream so that it also goes
to a file.

These tasks seem very disjoint for a library.

They are all IO-related. The DOM one is the weakest in terms of needing
a new library for it, but I certainly haven't seen the equivalent of a
pipe or a tee before.

Package: libmatthew-debug-java
This library provides a comprehensive debug and logging suite for Java.

If we are talking about the file Debug.java (600 lines), that's a bit
exaggerated, don't you think?

I think it's pretty comprehensive. Possibly s/and logging// would be a
better description.

Your debian/rules seems to depend on very specific versions of
java-gcj-compat-dev, that should be fixed.

I was told on here that you had to use a specific Java environment for
building to get predictable results?

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson