Re: make-jpkg not working with current Java 1.6 & Faking Java on Linux Distros

Blackwell writes:
> Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> >
> > Blackwell a écrit :
> > [...]
> >
> >> Arnaud, I realize that you folks are working on Debian for free. But
> >> that for me is not an acceptable excuse for any kind of decision,
> >> because what you are doing may (and does) affect me and other people -
> >> even die-hard Debian users.
> >>

> > I really have no more energy to discuss this. This kind of reactions
> > wanna make me quit. Thanks, I'll play tennis and drums more often. Maybe
> > I also will have more time for my wife and my house.
> >

> Arnaud,
>
> I did not and do not intend to offend anyone. I do not understand what
> wound you up like this in my above statement, maybe explain.
>
> Maybe the following helps to understand where I am coming from, not
> being a Debian user myself. The following from freenode's ##java IRC
> channel:

[...]

> Two noteworthy points:
>
> 1) "java" is not Sun's "java" binary, and the user fails to notice this.
> 2) "java -version" emits something that seems to indicate a) Java
> compatibility, b) Java version 1.4.2 compatibility.
>
> We have these cases on a daily basis. (I have some more examples listed
> here http://javafaq.mine.nu/lookup?305 I apologize for offensive tone
> and actually misleading content there, but after several years of
> helping Debian users with the exact same core issue one can lose their
> temper now and then.)

if that page should "help" Debian users, why do you use examples from
other distributions? If you want to "help", why don't you
differentiate between java versions, gcj versions and different
releases? Did you check with recent versions of the these
implemenations? Why start that page with "why do [...] implementations
suck" at all?

  Matthias