Re: make-jpkg not working with current Java 1.6 & Faking Java on Linux Distros

Arnaud Vandyck wrote:

Blackwell a écrit :
[...]
Arnaud, I realize that you folks are working on Debian for free. But
that for me is not an acceptable excuse for any kind of decision,
because what you are doing may (and does) affect me and other people -
even die-hard Debian users.

I really have no more energy to discuss this. This kind of reactions
wanna make me quit. Thanks, I'll play tennis and drums more often. Maybe
I also will have more time for my wife and my house.

Arnaud,

I did not and do not intend to offend anyone. I do not understand what wound you up like this in my above statement, maybe explain.

Maybe the following helps to understand where I am coming from, not being a Debian user myself. The following from freenode's ##java IRC channel:

##### start freenode conversation snippet #####

[16:52] <OldakQuill> I'm wondering if someone can help me with the following Java error on executing a Java application at the Debian command: http://channels.debian.net/paste/2576

=== start http://channels.debian.net/paste/2576 start ===
adam@Quinn:~$ java -jar jMemorize-0.9.2.jar

(.:21802): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_new: assertion `width > 0' failed

** ERROR **: file ../../../src/libjava/jni/gtk-peer/gnu_java_awt_peer_gtk_GtkIma ge.c: line 572 (createRawData): assertion failed: (data_fid != 0)
aborting...
Aborted
=== end http://channels.debian.net/paste/2576 end ===

[16:53] <Clackwell> OldakQuill: never seen that. checked with google?
[16:53] <OldakQuill> Yeah
[16:53] <OldakQuill> I get an entirely different XLib error under su
[16:53] <OldakQuill> This is under su: http://channels.debian.net/paste/2577

=== start http://channels.debian.net/paste/2577 start ===
Quinn:/home/adam# java -jar jMemorize-0.9.1.jar
Xlib: No protocol specified

(.:22198): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
=== end http://channels.debian.net/paste/2577 end ===

[16:54] <Clackwell> OldakQuill: latest and greatest debian? latest and greatest sun java sdk/jre?
[16:54] <Logi> OldakQuill: is that real java or gcj?
[16:54] <OldakQuill> I believe Java is set up/installed correctly
[16:54] <Logi> OldakQuill: what's java -version say?
[16:54] <OldakQuill> 1.4.2
[16:54] <Clackwell> OldakQuill: complete copy and paste please. some open source people find it funny to imitate sun java's output... [16:54] <Logi> OldakQuill: ok, we get a lot of people coming in here trying to use gcj which, basically, doesn't work
[16:55] <OldakQuill> Ok, one sec
[16:55] <OldakQuill> http://channels.debian.net/paste/2578

=== start http://channels.debian.net/paste/2578 start ===
Quinn:/home/adam# java -version
java version "1.4.2"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.0.3 20051204 (prerelease) (Debian 4.0.2-5j2)

=== end http://channels.debian.net/paste/2578 end ===

[16:55] <OldakQuill> So it is gcj
[16:56] <Clackwell> OldakQuill: yeah ;|
[16:56] <OldakQuill> So I should remove gcj and install J2RE?
[16:56] <Logi> OldakQuill: yeah, dump that for sun's java. It's really annoying that Debian insists on confusing people
[16:56] <Clackwell> ~debian
[16:56] <javabot> Clackwell, debian is a linux distribution, to install Java properly see http://serios.net/content/debian/java/with-java-package.php
[16:56] <Clackwell> see that perhaps, OldakQuill
[16:56] <OldakQuill> Apologies for the n00b qs, but thanks for the help.
[16:56] <Logi> OldakQuill: no worries. We blame Debian :)
[16:56] <Clackwell> i wonder if i should copy and paste this gcj thing on the debian-java mailing list.

##### end freenode conversation snippet #####

Two noteworthy points:

1) "java" is not Sun's "java" binary, and the user fails to notice this.
2) "java -version" emits something that seems to indicate a) Java compatibility, b) Java version 1.4.2 compatibility.

We have these cases on a daily basis. (I have some more examples listed here http://javafaq.mine.nu/lookup?305 I apologize for offensive tone and actually misleading content there, but after several years of helping Debian users with the exact same core issue one can lose their temper now and then.)

I will reply to the other mails in this thread shortly, I just thought seeing what actual "helpers" on IRC and Debian users have to cope with helps a little (in case it went by unnnoticed by those who can actually do something about it).

With best regards

Blackwell