Re: make-jpkg not working with current Java 1.6 & Faking Java on Linux Distros

[...]

http://www.us.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-dfsg
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/ch5.html#s-license-concerns

> Someone reported at freenode's ##java that make-jpkg does not work with
> Java 1.6.
>
> I wonder why that is?

$ apt-get source java-package

[...]

> If that is all so, wouldn't make-jpkg be able to work with all Sun
> JDK/JRE archives (past and future), provided they maintain the
> up-to-this-point-known binary names properly, so that creating the
> symlinks works the way it should?

If you are able to do that, you can provide a patch via our bug tracking
system: http://bugs.debian.org
File a bug report against java-package and attach the patch to the bug
report. Many thanks for your work in advance.

> 2) Faking Java on modern Linux distros:
>
> This may seem like the place for a complaint too:

[not sure ;-)]

> Can everyone please stop placing executables called "java" and "javac"
> which are not Java on Linux distributions? Java has enough issues,
> adding to them like this is not helping, rather the opposite. (It
> doesn't help conveying a professional image of the Linux distribution
> either.)

Tomcat5, ant, hibernate, Jonas, JFreeChart, Charva, Eclipse, ... all
these softwares work with the not java binaries...

> (Has anyone ever considered asking the vendors of all these
> not-really-Java projects wether they agree with using their projects to
> fake Java compatibility in this outrageous form? I surely would disagree
> with my incompatible software being used to fake an impression of
> compatibility which is just so unrealistic as in the case of gcj and co.)

I'm not sure if we can call these projects 'Vendors', but I'm not a
native English speaker. Also, no one of these projects claim to be 100%
Java compatible.

> With best regards

Please, can you be a little bit more constructive. I can understand your
point of view but please, consider our: Free Software. We do want to do
and promote Free (as in speach) Software. We don't wanna be competitive
with commercial (I mean non free) OS (well, this is not the first aim!).
No one of us is paied (by Debian) to work on Debian! If you want a pure
Java commercial support, consider using Windows or Solaris... or a
commercial Linux distribution with a proprietary JVM.

Cheers,

- --
Arnaud Vandyck, STE fi, ULg
Formateur Cellule Programmation.
Java Trap: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/java-trap.html
begin:vcard
fn:Arnaud Vandyck
n:Vandyck;Arnaud
org;quoted-printable:Universit=C3=A9 de Li=C3=A8ge;STE-Formations Informatiques
adr;quoted-printable;quoted-printable;quoted-printable:B=C3=A2timent C1;;Rue Armand St=C3=A9vard, 2;Li=C3=A8ge;;4000;Belgique
email;internet:arnaud.vandyck@ulg.ac.be
title;quoted-printable:Attach=C3=A9 (formateur)
tel;work:+32 4 366 90 55
tel;fax:+32 4 366 90 59
tel;home:+32 4 349 09 69
tel;cell:+32 486 31 10 47