Re: ITP TagSoup - library or application.

Hi Paul

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 11:59:15PM +0000, Paul Cager wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am attempting to package[1] TagSoup[2] and have a question. TagSoup is
>  primarily a library JAR, but it _does_ have a main method and can be
> used as a standalone program. My question is: should I package it as a
> library Jar, or as a library Jar + application?
>
> a)     From the author's documentation, I think the "normal" case is to
> use the Jar as a library from within another program; running it
> directly as a command seems to be a less-important use.
>
> b)     The author's documentation describes starting it as a program by
> using "java -jar tagsoup.jar".
>
> c)     The author has supplied a tagsoup(1) manpage, but again this uses
> the "java -jar" syntax.
>
> All of this suggests to me that I should simply install the Jar, and not
> create a "/usr/bin/tagsoup" script; is this right?

You have described the siutation well and shown that you can do either
way, and the best thing is that you do as you want it to be, or at
least as you want to support it.

So there is no "right and wrong" here, and you do as you would like to
have the package.

It is perfectly ok to have a binary in a library package and vice versa
if the difference is small.

Regards,

// Ola