Re: tomcat5.5, 6.0 and version control

Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
>> I'm working on squashing some ugly bugs in tomcat5.5,

> You mean upstream bugs?

No, packaging problems, #395167 being the most serious.

> Please, provide the result with the *original* tarball and a serie of
> patches so it's easy to isolate the patches.

I agree that this is a good thing, but it should be handled with branches,
and be supported by the VCS. The current patches, while isolated, are not
in any way clear. The only hint of what they do is the patch file name,
which is often too general to be useful. Commit logs are really more
helpful.

If a changeset is significant enough to need isolation from the rest, then I
tend to put it in a special feature branch.

> I don't like that way of working. I think we should only patch
> upstream when there is debian specific patches or for little things
> that upstream does not want to have in his/her tree.

I think we totally agree here.

> I agree with you about the patching system, it's not easy to work
> with,

That's my only problem really, and I'm looking for a better solution. Even
quilt would be step forward.

Well, I won't force my model on anyone, but if I start a new package, I'll
reserve the right to choose my tools.

Best regards,

Marcus