Re: tomcat5.5, 6.0 and version control

Barry Hawkins wrote:
> Marcus Better wrote:
> Are you
> proposing here that you are going to place the Tomcat source under
> version control and then make your orig.tar.gz from that?

No, only the source will be under version control. The orig.tar.gz is still
the same.

> If you feel that Tomcat has "outgrown the patch system", may I suggest
> taking a look at the xorg or linux-image packages?

At least they use quilt.

I really think that the packaging methods we use are impairing the package
quality. I've examined the patches in several packages, and found problems
that were not spotted, probably because they were hidden in a patch with a
vague name and undocumented purpose. Version control would help here.

> Are you suggesting here that Subversion is not a version control system
> with "proper merging support"?

The limitations of Subversion are well known [1]. Still it is possible to
work with multiple branches, once you learn the manual bookkeeping. I've
documented my preferred method [2]. My suggestion was to use a VCS that
keeps track of merges automatically (for new packages).

Choice of VCS is a matter of taste, but I don't see why a diverse project
like pkg-java project should be constrained to svn only.

Regards,

Marcus

[1] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.branchmerge.copychanges.html
(see "Tracking Merges Manually").