Re: Some progress with freeing openjump

Hi Petter,

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> I've spent a few hours trying to make build rules for OpenJump and
> build it with free tools, and have made some progress.  The result is
> available from
> <URL:http://cvs.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/openjump/?cvsroot=pkg-grass>.

You may want to look in the exiting old jump package in the
debian gis repository to find a manpage and other stuff maybe also
usefull for openjump.

> Most build dependencies are now in place, and the only slightly
> problematic one was the batik package, which refused to install
> without j2re1.4 or java2-runtime installed.  I used equivs to make a
> fake java2-runtime package to get going.
>
> Now I am missing the buoy package, and the classes JPEGImageDecoder,
> JPEGCodec and JPEGDecodeParam from com.sun.image.  I believe this is
> great news. :)
>
> Anyone working on packaging buoy, <URL:http://buoy.sourceforge.net/>?
> I did not find any WNPP request, so I made one.

Well, as it depends on Swing it may or may not be already usable with
free runtimes - needs to be tested.

> These are the build errors reported (build log available from
>     [javac] ----------
>     [javac] 38. ERROR in /home/pere/src/debiancvs/debiangiscvs/openjump/src/com/vi
> vidsolutions/jump/util/java2xml/Java2XML.java
>     [javac]  (at line 80)
>     [javac]     xmlOutputter.setNewlines(true);
>     [javac]                  ^^^^^^^^^^^
>     [javac] The method setNewlines(boolean) is undefined for the type XMLOutputter
>     [javac] ----------
>     [javac] 39. ERROR in /home/pere/src/debiancvs/debiangiscvs/openjump/src/com/vi
> vidsolutions/jump/util/java2xml/Java2XML.java
>     [javac]  (at line 81)
>     [javac]     xmlOutputter.setIndent(true);

Just remove the stuff - I saw on the other list you already have done this.

>     [javac]                  ^^^^^^^^^
>     [javac] The method setIndent(boolean) is undefined for the type XMLOutputter
>     [javac] ----------
>     [javac] ----------
>     [javac] 62. ERROR in /home/pere/src/debiancvs/debiangiscvs/openjump/src/com/vi
> vidsolutions/jump/workbench/JUMPWorkbenchContext.java
>     [javac]  (at line 38)
>     [javac]     import sun.security.action.GetBooleanAction;
>     [javac]            ^^^
>     [javac] The import sun cannot be resolved
>     [javac] ----------
>     [javac] ----------
>     [javac] 110. ERROR in /home/pere/src/debiancvs/debiangiscvs/openjump/src/com/v
> ividsolutions/jump/workbench/datasource/SaveDatasetAsPlugIn.java
>     [javac]  (at line 38)
>     [javac]     import sun.security.action.GetLongAction;
>     [javac]            ^^^
>     [javac] The import sun cannot be resolved
>     [javac] ----------

They are not used and you have already removed these imports according to
the other list :-)

>     [javac] ----------
>     [javac] 619. ERROR in /home/pere/src/debiancvs/debiangiscvs/openjump/src/org/o
> penjump/io/SIDLayer.java
>     [javac]  (at line 57)
>     [javac]     import com.sun.image.codec.jpeg.JPEGCodec;
>     [javac]            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>     [javac] The import com.sun.image cannot be resolved

The JPEG stuff should be migrated to to the imageio apis, see:
http://developer.classpath.org/mediation/ClasspathMigration

> I'll leave it at that, and try again later when buoy is in Debian and
> the jpeg stuff is implemented in Classpath.  I'll ask the openjump
> people to stop using the sun API functions as well.

The ImageIO Jpeg stuff is currently being worked on. Beside that the
Graphics2D reimplementation is needed to make OpenJump work at all.

Wolfgang