Some progress with freeing openjump

I've spent a few hours trying to make build rules for OpenJump and
build it with free tools, and have made some progress.  The result is
available from
<URL:http://cvs.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/openjump/?cvsroot=pkg-grass>.

Most build dependencies are now in place, and the only slightly
problematic one was the batik package, which refused to install
without j2re1.4 or java2-runtime installed.  I used equivs to make a
fake java2-runtime package to get going.

Now I am missing the buoy package, and the classes JPEGImageDecoder,
JPEGCodec and JPEGDecodeParam from com.sun.image.  I believe this is
great news. :)

Anyone working on packaging buoy, <URL:http://buoy.sourceforge.net/>?
I did not find any WNPP request, so I made one.

These are the build errors reported (build log available from
    [javac] ----------
    [javac] 38. ERROR in /home/pere/src/debiancvs/debiangiscvs/openjump/src/com/vi
vidsolutions/jump/util/java2xml/Java2XML.java
    [javac]  (at line 80)
    [javac]     xmlOutputter.setNewlines(true);
    [javac]                  ^^^^^^^^^^^
    [javac] The method setNewlines(boolean) is undefined for the type XMLOutputter
    [javac] ----------
    [javac] 39. ERROR in /home/pere/src/debiancvs/debiangiscvs/openjump/src/com/vi
vidsolutions/jump/util/java2xml/Java2XML.java
    [javac]  (at line 81)
    [javac]     xmlOutputter.setIndent(true);
    [javac]                  ^^^^^^^^^
    [javac] The method setIndent(boolean) is undefined for the type XMLOutputter
    [javac] ----------
    [javac] ----------
    [javac] 62. ERROR in /home/pere/src/debiancvs/debiangiscvs/openjump/src/com/vi
vidsolutions/jump/workbench/JUMPWorkbenchContext.java
    [javac]  (at line 38)
    [javac]     import sun.security.action.GetBooleanAction;
    [javac]            ^^^
    [javac] The import sun cannot be resolved
    [javac] ----------
    [javac] ----------
    [javac] 110. ERROR in /home/pere/src/debiancvs/debiangiscvs/openjump/src/com/v
ividsolutions/jump/workbench/datasource/SaveDatasetAsPlugIn.java
    [javac]  (at line 38)
    [javac]     import sun.security.action.GetLongAction;
    [javac]            ^^^
    [javac] The import sun cannot be resolved
    [javac] ----------
    [javac] ----------
    [javac] 619. ERROR in /home/pere/src/debiancvs/debiangiscvs/openjump/src/org/o
penjump/io/SIDLayer.java
    [javac]  (at line 57)
    [javac]     import com.sun.image.codec.jpeg.JPEGCodec;
    [javac]            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [javac] The import com.sun.image cannot be resolved
    [javac] ----------
    [javac] 620. ERROR in /home/pere/src/debiancvs/debiangiscvs/openjump/src/org/o
penjump/io/SIDLayer.java
    [javac]  (at line 58)
    [javac]     import com.sun.image.codec.jpeg.JPEGDecodeParam;
    [javac]            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [javac] The import com.sun.image cannot be resolved
    [javac] ----------
    [javac] 621. ERROR in /home/pere/src/debiancvs/debiangiscvs/openjump/src/org/o
penjump/io/SIDLayer.java
    [javac]  (at line 59)
    [javac]     import com.sun.image.codec.jpeg.JPEGImageDecoder;
    [javac]            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [javac] The import com.sun.image cannot be resolved
    [javac] ----------
    [javac] 622. ERROR in /home/pere/src/debiancvs/debiangiscvs/openjump/src/org/o
penjump/io/SIDLayer.java
    [javac]  (at line 295)
    [javac]     JPEGImageDecoder decoder = JPEGCodec.createJPEGDecoder(in);
    [javac]     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [javac] JPEGImageDecoder cannot be resolved to a type
    [javac] ----------
    [javac] 623. ERROR in /home/pere/src/debiancvs/debiangiscvs/openjump/src/org/o
penjump/io/SIDLayer.java
    [javac]  (at line 295)
    [javac]     JPEGImageDecoder decoder = JPEGCodec.createJPEGDecoder(in);
    [javac]                                ^^^^^^^^^
    [javac] JPEGCodec cannot be resolved
    [javac] ----------
    [javac] 624. ERROR in /home/pere/src/debiancvs/debiangiscvs/openjump/src/org/o
penjump/io/SIDLayer.java
    [javac]  (at line 296)
    [javac]     JPEGDecodeParam dp = decoder.getJPEGDecodeParam();
    [javac] JPEGDecodeParam cannot be resolved to a type

I'll leave it at that, and try again later when buoy is in Debian and
the jpeg stuff is implemented in Classpath.  I'll ask the openjump
people to stop using the sun API functions as well.

Friendly,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen