Re: svn repository

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 10:50:37AM -0500, Charles Fry wrote:
> > You've been elected to do the CVS to svn transition, congratulation! ;-)
>
> Accepted. ;-)

I feel pity for you :)

> > If you can do the transition, you are welcome. Can you propose a
> > directory layout for the svn repository (a layout we could use with
> > svn-buildpackage or something).
>
> Well, that makes it easy, as svn-buildpackge only supports a single
> layout currently (and we certainly should support svn-buildpackage).
> Specifically, the layout would be package/{trunk,tags,branches,...}.
> The only potential disadvantage that I can see is that each package that
> needs to be worked with must be checked out separately, with a command
> like:
>
>    svn co svn+ssh://username@svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-java/lib-mylib-java/trunk
>
> Alternatively we could work with upstream to get support for the
> {trunk,tags,branches,...}/package layout, which would allow users to
> checkout the trunk version of all packages at the same time. An
> unintegrated patch has been submitted to upstream, so this may yet be a
> reasonable approach. As a matter of fact, the more I think about it, the
> more this layout sounds the best.

Yeah, getting all the trunks in one checkout is useful... But the
problem is with branches and tags (the latter I prefer to call
'releases' because that's what they mostly are, and if we really want
tags, to have both tags & releases)): they'd really need to be separated
logically (per package).

> Normally packages are imported using svn-inject for each package, but
> then we would lose the CVS histories. I'd like to try to import using
> cvs2svn, but I'll need to research the minimum requirements of
> svn-buildpackage for this purpose.

cvs2svn is problematic... It's too limited for what we want. Tags get
without any package qualification in a toplevel tags dir, etc... And
there's where I (temporarily) gave up, I didn't feel like going to do
cvs2svn hacking, or writing a small perl script to mangle the svndump
intermediate into something we want.

I'm looking forward to see your suggestions on fixing this :)

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl