Re: [RFC] Debian Java Announcement for Sarge

Fri, 06 May 2005 22:16:18 +0200,
Wolfgang Baer <WBaer@gmx.de> wrote:

> Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
>> 0° Introduction
>
> What about:

Thanks.

>> 1° Status of the JVM's from Woody to Sarge
>>    - new:
>>      + sablevm
>>      + jamvm
>>      + I think I forget some...
>
> 	+ free-java-sdk

added

>>    - updated:
>>      + gcj/gij (3.0 -> 3.3 and 3.4)
>>      + kaffe (1.0.5e -> 1.1.5)
>>    - removed:
>>      + kissme
>>      + orp
>
> Maybe split into provide JRE (jamvm, sablevm)
> and JDK functionality (free-java-sdk, kaffe)
> Where does gcj/gij really belong ?

too complicated for non-java readers and maybe not relevant.

>> 2° Java packages (libs and apps)
>>    - new:
>>      + antlr
>>      + batik
>>      + bcel
>>      + checkstyle
>>      + classpath
>>      + fop
>>      + gjdoc
>
>         + mysql jdbc driver

This one was already there.

>         + freemind
>         + jspwiki

added

[...]

>>    35. libpgjava
>>    36. libmysql-java
>>    37. velocity
>
> These three not yet made it to main because of the freeze !

I asked d-release and put a note.

[...]

>>    - update our packages and clean up packages that are dead upstream;
>
> Well this has already started (libservlet2.2-java, xml-soap, ...) - but
> I think we should do that regulary. There are currently several outdated
> libraries which are not really used by programs.

Yes, we should do that. A debian/watch file can ease the process in some
cases.

[...]

>>    The list is not finished, maybe this paragraph can be deleted, RFC.
>
> This could be maybe more an "internal" list of goals.

I plan to do one, I'll send a separate note about it.

>> 6° Conclusion
>>    Even if Java is not in the shape we'd like it to be in Debian at the
>>    moment, there are a lot of work to make it fit the best we can in the
>>    distribution.
>>    We plan to integrate Java more and more in Debian and make it really
>>    free.
>
> Maybe we can add here something about free java projects:

done.

> And also with the websites linked ....

I added Alioth's pkg-java page <http://pkg-java.alioth.debian.org/> and
Planet Classpath <http://planet.classpath.org/> because every
informations about free classpath can be found when you start at that
page (or it should be! ;-))

Comment: http://java.debian.net/index.php/DebianJavaInSarge

Don't forget to login and to comment your changes, thanks for your time,

--
  .''`.
 : :' :rnaud