Re: GCJ Native Proposal

Hi,

On Sat, 2005-04-30 at 21:28 +0200, Michael Koch wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 09:55:00PM +0200, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> > Tue, 15 Mar 2005 08:45:29 -0500,
> > Barry Hawkins <barry@alltc.com> wrote:

> > > [...]
> > > [...]
> > > If upstream already has a name, we should adhere to that.  We can't
> > > reinvent the technical terminology of upstream sources because we don't
> > > like it; that's what Microsoft is for.
> >
> > I think Ubuntu is going with the -jbi suffix, isn't it? ;-)
>
> Which would be a really bad choice.

Yes, both -jbi and -bcabi are really bad choices because they are
somewhat obscure technical terms that don't really help the users to
know what is special about the package. In a future release the bcabi
will also be the default abi used by gcj. And in cases where backwards
(and forwards) compatability and seamless interoperability between
native and interpreted byte code is wanted you will need to use this
-findirect-dispatch technique always. And no, I am not proposing to use
-indirect-dispatch as suggix :)

IMHO the best suffix would be to just use -gcj for the natively compiled
packages. That at least shows the user what the difference is and why
the -gcj package is faster and less resource intensive. Because it was
created using GCJ.

Cheers,

Mark