Re: Setup a free java development environment

Dalibor Topic wrote:
| Michael Koch <konqueror <at> gmx.de> writes:
|

|>BTW: Free Java does not exist in reality and I would not recommend to
|>name anthing officially with Java in its name. Java is a registered
|>tradmark by SUN. The Fedora Java effort currently thinks about a name
too...

|>I would call it "Classpath community" but this is only my personal
|>preference and I'm prejudiced because I'm part of GNU classpath project.
|

| Yep. It is in my opinion simply rude to try to rub off Sun's trade
marks, beside
| being an unnecessary legal risk. Just like I think Sun's pretty stupid
when they
| desperately try to market their proprietary software as 'open source',
I think
| it's equally stupid to try to pass free software off as non-free.
Remember, like
| GNU is *not* Unix(TM), GNU Classpath/Kaffe/Gcj are *not* Java(TM).
|
| If anything, they are better, in my biased opinion, so there is no need to
| associate them with the negative, and by now pretty meaningless,
legally dubious
| J-brand. I personally prefer to use the terms 'Classpath community' or
'free
| runtimes' to refer to the positive future of the platform :)
[...]
Classpath certainly has some momentum behind it, but that is currently
referring to the "Essential Libraries for Java(TM)" base upon which most
of our other stuff is founded.  The thing about "free runtimes" is that
it sounds generic enough to apply to Mono as well the stuff we work with.

Of course, we could do something like the joke I made on #debian-java:

GNJ - GNU's Not Java(TM) - pronounced "ganja"

All joking aside, there does need to be a single name that all of the
Classpath-based, free runtimes (for the Java(TM) programming language)
could use.  An appealing name can make a huge difference, as silly as
that sounds.  I mean, how else could the name of a kernel come to
represent an entire operating system? 8^)

Sincerely,
- --
Barry Hawkins
All Things Computed