Setup a free java development environment

Hi,

I'm new to Java development and Debian, but it couldn't stay unnoticed to me that there is some effort placed in using free Java alternatives.

I'd be happy to support this effort, but it's all very confusing to me (too many alternatives, basically) and I still need the Sun Java on my machine.

So, is there somewhere a document that explains how to setup a free java development environment in parallel to a Sun Java environment, limiting the risk of cross-pollution? Plus some explanations on which free VM/tools are good/best for what?

Thanks, Eric

--
Gewalt ist die letzte Zuflucht der Inkompetenz.
    Violence is the Last Resort of the Incompetent.