Re: Setup a free java development environment

On Sat, 2005-19-03 at 09:36 -0500, Barry Hawkins wrote:

> Eric Lavarde wrote:
> [...]
> | So, is there somewhere a document that explains how to setup a free java
> | development environment in parallel to a Sun Java environment, limiting
> | the risk of cross-pollution? Plus some explanations on which free
> | VM/tools are good/best for what?
> [...]
> Eric,
> ~    Thanks for your interest in free java and its use with Debian.  This
> is a good question; I don't think we have done this yet.  The
> free-java-sdk is probably the closest thing, but that is primarily a
> package that pulls in a collection of free java tools and creates
> entries via update-alternatives for common java programs.

Not exactly.  Or even "not really".

As you and other noticed the update-alternatives do not do their job
well in java environment (for reasons I do not intend to discuss).

The free-java-sdk package does provide a script that helps setting your
alternatives, but free-java-sdk itself does not always use these
alternatives.

If you look at the Depends: of this package and at the content of
/usr/lib/fjsdk/bin *scripts* (they are not symlinks!) you'll soon
find out that the associations are always the following:

jar -> fastjar
java -> java-sablevm
javac -> jikes-sablevm
javadoc -> gjdoc
javah -> javah-cp (from classpath-tools package)
javap -> javap-cp (from classpath-tools package)
serialver -> serialver-cp (from classpath-tools package)

Why's that?  Exactly because of the "alternatives hell" you asked
about in your previous message on Wednesday.  This is a setup that
*I* know works, and therefore has high chances of working for you.

Therefore all you need to do is 'apt-get install free-java-sdk'
and think of /usr/lib/fjsdk as of Sun's JAVA_HOME.

That's it!

			Grzegorz B. Prokopski

PS: I admit the existence of this java-alt-setup in bin directory
of /usr/lib/fjsdk might be slightly confusing.  I'll prepare a
version that shows a note that the free-java-sdk does not use
the alternatives system itself.  Thanks for the hint.

I also plan to add the "jre" directory and a few other symlinks
to enhance the comatibility with Sun's JAVA_HOME, so I should make
an upload soon.
--
Grzegorz B. Prokopski           <gadek@sablevm.org>
SableVM - Free, LGPL'ed Java VM  http://sablevm.org