Re: Help on java packaging

Thu, 03 Feb 2005 08:46:46 +0100,
Wolfgang Baer <wbaer@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi Wolfgang,

> I started packaging GIS (Geographical Information Systems) Software for
> the Debian GIS project. As there are no people with good java packaging
> experience I would like to ask if someone from the debian java packaging
> project could have a look at my packages.
>
> The packages are:
>
> jts - java topology suite
> A java library for geographical data processing
>
> jama - java matrix library

gjdoc is not working in the new kaffe package :'(

Also, note that the ant task call the 'javadoc' executable in JAVA_HOME

,----[ ant-1.6.2/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/Javadoc.java ]

`----

> jump - java unified mapping platfrom
> The "end user" GIS product

This is another problem ;-)

> jts and jama are dependencies for jump and compiled with kaffe, so they
> could go into main. jump at the moment requires jdk1.4 for compilation
> so it goes into contrib.

Sight.

> I checked classpath cvs and all (expect one) compilation errors are now
> implemented in cvs - so there is a good change jump can go into main as
> well if at some time a new kaffe package with the cvs classpath changes
> gets uploaded.

Excellent!

> I have also other packages in preparation but first I want to get some
> comments if the packaging is ok this way. I used cdbs as I saw in
> several other java packages. The javadoc is generated via gjdoc with a
> method I found through google posted somewhere by arnaud.

Me!? ;-)

Your packages are excellent. The only stopper I see at the moment is the
javadoc generation. A new kaffe package has just been uploaded but
without a working gjdoc, but another should be uploaded next week with a
working gjdoc.

> You can find the source at:
>
> http://www.mapserver.uni-vechta.de/~debian/
>
> Sorry not apt-gettable !

This is not a problem, I only browse the diff.gz and it looks like it's
ok.

> I you will find the packages ok - I would also like to join pkg-java
> project. I am not a DD and have currently not the time to start the new
> maintainer process. But I have enough time to maintain my packages and
> help out with others - but would need a sponsor !

I can sponsor you if you can wait for gjdoc to be fit and well or if you
remove the javadoc generation in your packages. About the jump package,
you'll have to find a maintainer on x86 because I got problems
generating packages with my non-free jdk.

> Thanks,
>
> Wolfgang
>
> PS: jts and jump are GPL - but jama is some sort of public domain. I
> don't know if it can go into main. Comments are welcome !

Public domain is ok for main. But the non-free jdk generation is not.

--
  .''`.
 : :' :rnaud