Re: IMPORTANT [RFS] liblog4j1.2-java build from sources

Hi,

On 2004-07-28 20:38, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:

[...]

So I built log4j with sablevm, ant1.6 and jikes... but it fails. I don't
know why but I've been unable to 'exclude' classes to build. So at the
moment, log4j is built using jikes-classpath (oups, I forgot 'classpath'
dependency) and fastjar... and all classes are not built!

This is the line to find all the sources to be built:
 files = $(shell find src/java -name \*.java \
           | grep -v chainsaw | grep -v lf5 \
           | grep -v jms | grep -v jmx | grep -v JMS)

And this is the lines two install the package:
 deb http://people.debian.org/~avdyk/debian ./
 deb-src http://people.debian.org/~avdyk/debian ./
I have just tested building log4j1.2-1.2.8 with sablevm, ant1.6 and jikes. Only 2 build problems occurred:

1. lf5/viewer failed to build because of the following missing methods:
  - javax.swing.JTable.getRowHeight
  - javax.swing.JTable.sizeColumnsToFit
  - javax.swing.JTable.setRowHeight
  - javax.swing.JTextArea.setWrapStyleWord
  - javax.swing.JTree.setCellEditor
  - javax.swing.JTree.setShowsRootHandles
  - javax.swing.JTree.expandPath
  - javax.swing.JTree.collapsePath
  - javax.swing.JTree.getPathForLocation
  - javax.swing.JTree.getRowBounds
  - javax.swing.JTree.getRowCount
  - javax.swing.JTree.isExpanded
in
- src/java/org/apache/log4j/lf5/viewer/categoryexplorer/CategoryExplorerTree.java - src/java/org/apache/log4j/lf5/viewer/categoryexplorer/CategoryImmediateEditor.java - src/java/org/apache/log4j/lf5/viewer/categoryexplorer/CategoryNodeEditor.java - src/java/org/apache/log4j/lf5/viewer/configure/ConfigurationManager.java
  - src/java/org/apache/log4j/lf5/viewer/LF5SwingUtils.java
  - src/java/org/apache/log4j/lf5/viewer/LogBrokerMonitor.java
  - src/java/org/apache/log4j/lf5/viewer/LogTable.java
This should be solved if lf5/viewer (or the whole lf5, which was introduced in version 1.2.5) is removed from the package, maybe moved to a second package.

2. rmic fails even after set to use the one from kaffe. But this affects the RMI example only, which is safe to ignore.

[...]

So here are the possible way (if there are more, thanks to comment):

. log4j stays in free but without some packages (chainsaw, lf5, jmx and
 jms)

. log4j goes back to contrib and will be built with non-free JVM's

. we make two packages available.

Thanks for your time and comments,
Given "This version of LogFactor5 is not completely integrated with log4j [1], I suppose we can first remove the offending packages to fix the rc bug and after the problem it solved, it is split into a second package.

--
Regards,
Alan

[1] http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/api/org/apache/log4j/lf5/package-summary.html