Re: SwingWT

> It supports BOOTCLASSPATH, i.e. setting it via environment variables. :)
> But I'll add a real -bootclasspath option soon, as I'm rewriting
> argument parsing to use GNU AutoGen, and need it for merging in GNU
> Classpath's AWT and the various AWT implementations from PocketLinux.

Good stuff - it seems the free java world is positively burgeoning with
possibilities and cool stuff at the moment!

> SwingWT CVS seems to work well with Kaffe from CVS, according to
> http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2004-March/045747.html, so I'll be
> interested in trying to merge in SwingWT into kaffe eventually, as
> another Swing/AWT alternative, beside Kaffe's own Xlib and Qt-based
> ones, and the forthcoming GNU Classpath gtk based one, as well as the
> 10+ implementations from Pocketlinux Kaffe port and mighty cool
> Odonata[1] from Stephane Meslin-Weber.

Fantastic! I'd be delighted if SwingWT was accepted into Kaffe as a
Swing option for developers - it would certainly make life a lot easier
for people wanting to move their Java development to a free platform.

I've been running SwingWT under Kaffe for the last couple of months as I want
another of my free apps (that uses SwingWT) to be available on free
platforms so it needs to run under Kaffe (ideally I'd like to make a
Debian package for it as it is a popular app and I hate having to
maintain an installer for it).

I'm using the current Kaffe in Debian unstable - both SwingWT and Animal
Shelter Manager (the free app in question and the reason I wrote
SwingWT in the first place) are running very nicely with it - oddly
enough I find Kaffe runs SwingWT and ASM noticeably faster than the Sun VM
implementation (which is a really nice bonus!).

I plan to release SwingWT 0.81 before the end of this week which fixes
many compatibility issues and bugs (whilst being 100%
compatible with Kaffe and GIJ/GCJ of course!). Oh, and this release has
startup script files for Kaffe as well as GIJ and the Sun VM under
Win32/Linux :-)

Kind regards,

Rob

Robin Rawson-Tetley