diagnosing an applet error

So, I have an applet on a web page that I'm trying to run, and it keeps
throwing this error:

UIDefaults.getUI() failed: no ComponentUI class for:
javax.swing.JMenuItem[,0,0,0x0,invalid,alignmentX=null,alignmentY=null,border=,flags=0,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=,defaultIcon=,disabledIcon=,disabledSelectedIcon=,margin=null,paintBorder=false,paintFocus=false,pressedIcon=,rolloverEnabled=false,rolloverIcon=,rolloverSelectedIcon=,selectedIcon=,text=]
java.lang.Error
	at javax.swing.UIDefaults.getUIError(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.UIDefaults.getUI(Unknown Source)
[...lots more...]

I know that this applet works properly when using Sun's JRE 1.4.1_03
installed on Windows/Internet Explorer.  I assume therefore that the
applet is coded properly.  I've tried numerous different JRE's with
Debian: 1.4.0.99, 1.4.1 (several), 1.4.2 from java.sun.com -- they all
give the same error.  I've also tried to install various Debian packages
that appeared to be Java class libraries, in case I was missing
something - nothing seems to help.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong/why this doesn't work under Debian?

--
Michael Sims