Maven and Unix

It would be great if maven was part of the solution, and wouldn't turn into a road block. It has great potential in both directions, as far as I can see it.

I completely agree with this. While I understand the griefs expressed in this thread about Maven not playing nicely with the OS, I also think that it nicely solves some other issues like dependencies. It's true that those are also partially solved by apt, but apt is not universal, and I suppose it has too much unix-specific parts about it to be made universal. So it seems to me that the best would be to _improve_ Maven so that it meets the requirements of unix-like systems. What is needed is probably that people with an unix culture get involved in the development of Maven.

Daniel