Re: upstream guidelines for easy packaging (was: JPackages and ObjectWeb)

Le lun, 02/02/2004 à 12:22 +0100, debian@katzien.de a écrit :
> Hallo,
>
> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > I've added a few more points that should answer your questions. Please
> > tell me if it is so (and other JPP/Debian/Gentoo... folks please check
> > if it also represents your packaging processes)
>
> From some discussion on normal debian packages, I would say, that
> upstream should not put in the debian/* files (^=RPM spec files). It's
> fine to include the actuall files of the to be done 'common java
> packaging package description', but a debian devloper will need to
> change something in the debian dir and so the this files will get out of
> sync during each build. Usually upstream releases with a debian dir will
> have that dir removed and the upstream tarball redone.
>
> If we get to a point, were we have a common policy, and even names will
> work across packaging level, then the description files would be fine.
> Up to then, it's a waste of upstream recourses.

Sure. This is more or less what I wanted to imply in my « What we are
not talking about (yet) » point. If you feel you can clarify it, please
do so - the difficult part is to have something that an upstream
developer can understand without quoting all the subtleties of present
and future linux packaging.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot