upstream guidelines for easy packaging (was: JPackages and ObjectWeb)

Hallo,

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> I've added a few more points that should answer your questions. Please
> tell me if it is so (and other JPP/Debian/Gentoo... folks please check
> if it also represents your packaging processes)

>From some discussion on normal debian packages, I would say, that
upstream should not put in the debian/* files (^=RPM spec files). It's
fine to include the actuall files of the to be done 'common java
packaging package description', but a debian devloper will need to
change something in the debian dir and so the this files will get out of
sync during each build. Usually upstream releases with a debian dir will
have that dir removed and the upstream tarball redone.

If we get to a point, were we have a common policy, and even names will
work across packaging level, then the description files would be fine.
Up to then, it's a waste of upstream recourses.

Comments?

BTW: nice preamble!

Jan