Re: [Fwd: Re: [architecture] Re: JPackages and ObjectWeb]

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>I agree. Also it may need to be reorganised a bit (one part concerning
>deps, another concerning archives, whatever). This is just a feeling btw
>- I have no clear organisation in mind, if you can do it don't wait for
>my approval.

I don't have a clear idea.

An easy algorithm would be to turn it into an ordered list:

All headings into I, II, III, IV...

All bullets into a, b, c, d...

>ant is a very good cross-platform tool. Maven OTOH seems to have been
>specified by windows people for windows people. Unfortunately an awful
>lot of projects target windows nowadays.

We know Windows is the majority, but does this justify the exclusion of everyone else? I think our policies will help Windows and non-Windows users alike. Possibly any Windows problem that maven is trying to deal with is due to the single-user mentality of even ``multi-user'' operating systems like Windows XP, and these can only really be fixed by Windows.

Looking at maven (and even some jakarta projects), this may be a slight exaggeration, but it seems like I need my file layout exactly like the main developer has at his house. So for example, my xerces jar must be in D:/joe/My Documents/mySpecialXerces.jar and absoluely nowhere else.

I also mentioned these build sandboxes that they have where they have build (.xml) files that you need to build the code that they don't even distribute. I know for a fact that they are not distributed with the release tarballs on the web and I am not even sure that they are in CVS either.

BTW, I have tried to develop on Windows and I just can't...

--
Sincerely,

David Walluck
<david@anti-microsoft.org>