Re: [Fwd: Re: [architecture] Re: JPackages and ObjectWeb]

Le dim, 01/02/2004 à 12:51 -0500, David Walluck a écrit :
> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>
> >I'm done with this. The result is available at:

> It says final version is forthcoming. I was afraid to make edits just
> yet.

Please do so now - I may fix a typo or two, but I finished my writup for
today.

> And I would like to see each point numbered and lettered so that
> they can be easily refered to. Like we could say, ``this is a violation
> of IIa'', for example.

I agree. Also it may need to be reorganised a bit (one part concerning
deps, another concerning archives, whatever). This is just a feeling btw
- I have no clear organisation in mind, if you can do it don't wait for
my approval.

> Anyway, it's interesting to see how many of these principles that maven
> violates. The funny thing is that I assume the developers of maven think
> that they are alleviating some of these problems when, IMO, it is just
> more of the same thing.

We were contacted by maven people long ago at about the time maven
launched. Very soon it became clear maven was following principles
totally opposed principles to ours (and every linux distro I know of).
This is one of the reasons maven is ending up in the repo only now. And
I'm sure browsing debian, gentoo or any other linux java packaging team
archives will turn up many horrified posts about maven

> I'm worried that the consensus is that more and more projects will be
> moving from ant to maven.

ant is a very good cross-platform tool. Maven OTOH seems to have been
specified by windows people for windows people. Unfortunately an awful
lot of projects target windows nowadays.

> I admit to not being very experienced with
> maven, so someone else who is more familiar should offer some more
> comments. But, from my point of view:

[snip long list of points I totally agree with]

I'm afraid the Java Linux people waited too long to get together and
make their requirements known. It seems we will now be cursed with
mavenite for a few months/years at least. I just hope if we all agree on
a single java policy we can have the same mindshare as maven in the
future, and avoid a situation where no Java project is sanely
packageable any longer.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot