Re: eclipse crashes on startup

Hallo Thomas,

* Thomas J. Zeeman wrote:
>First off: Juergen, thanks for the fast response!

>From me too! Finaly I can give something to my eclipse 'failed in
native code' bugs.

>With both BD 1.4.2-rc1 and Sun 1.4.2_03 it gets aborted during
>compilation, an earlier point than where BD 1.4.1 crashes!
[...]
>I used an 'export ANT_OPTS=-Xmx256M' as suggested by ant and it failed;
>with 512M too btw.
>>Do note that when I first compiled my own .deb I never needed to set
>>ANT_OPTS.

The code in the compiler script uses 256 anyway.

>Here's the output to stdout:
>dpkg-buildpackage: source maintainer is Takashi Okamoto <tora@debian.org>

No, it's me :)

>echo /usr/lib/j2sdk1.4-blackdown/
>/usr/lib/j2sdk1.4-blackdown/

Seems ok...

>/usr/bin/ant: line 35: 10182 Killed                  $JAVACMD $ANT_OPTS
>-Dant.home=/usr/share/ant org.apache.tools.ant.Main $ANT_ARGS "$@"
>Java Compilation Failed

That looks like the vM got all og the availabe memory and got killed
by the kernel :(

>I have tried doing a build of the original sources included in the deb-src
>but that also fails. It looks like I get a little further every time I
>restart that build without clearing the previous build first, but after 5
>or so runs it still is not finished.
>Running top during the build shows 3 java-processes slowly eating up more
>memory and at about 128M the run stops. Running the build in 'valgrind
>--leak-check=yes' showed no sign of leaking.

You may want to set $ANT_ARGS to somethiong like "-v" and/or "-debug"
and try if that gets more output.

I'm not sure what is happening on your system, but unfortunatelly ant
will eat more memory than 128MB to compile eclipse. It seems that your
kernel or anything else on the system wont let it take anything more
than 128MB and ant gets killed at that time. It's AFAIR not the VM,
which kills itself, this would show the OutOfMemeoryError and no
'Killed' line.

Jan
--
Jan Schulz                     jasc@gmx.net