Re: eclipse crashes on startup

Eckhart Guthöhrlein <eckhart.guthoehrlein@cebitec.uni-bielefeld.de>
writes:

> whenever I start eclipse on debian unstable, it crashes due to an
> "exception in native code outside the VM" with the error log
> attached below. This started some days before christmas. Everything
> worked fine before. I have not been able to spot the problem and
> don't have any more ideas, so I would be grateful for any help.  I
> would like to point out that libc6 seems to be involved, so this may
> be a version conflict between current and compile-time libs? This
> could be an explanation why the problem occured without any manual
> changes, probably after an distribution update.  Btw, I encounter
> the same problem with any of the eclipse distributions obtained from
> www.eclipse.org. I have tried 2.1, 2.1.1 and 3.0M6.  Again, thank
> you for any hints, since I really need eclipse at the moment.
>
> Current Java thread:
> 	at java.util.zip.Inflater.end(Native Method)

I was able to reproduce this with 1.4.1 now.

The problem is that Java (pre-1.4.2) picks up the wrong zlib functions
when something brings in libz before Java loads its libzip.

You should be able to work-around the problem by starting eclipse like
this:

% LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/j2se/1.4/jre/lib/i386:/usr/lib/j2se/1.4/jre/lib/i386/client LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/j2se/1.4/jre/lib/i386/libzip.so eclipse

Alternatively you could upgrade to 1.4.2-rc1 (see
http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/java2-status/jdk1.4-status.html),
the functions have been internalized in that version and the problem
should not occur anymore.

        Juergen

--
Juergen Kreileder, Blackdown Java-Linux Team
http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/java2-status/