Re: How to package part of Java tool as binary? (Was: Debian/Java)

On Thursday 10 April 2003 07:51, Nicos Panayides wrote:
> There are more than one ways to do this. My suggestion is to have two
> packages:
>
> cdk-java (command line)
> cdk-gui-java (swing stuff)
>
> the command line package needs to be compilable with a free javac (gij,
> jikes etc). As for the binary I don't think it provides any real benefit
> besides a slightly reduced startup time (and even that is not always the
> case). Just make a wrapper script that calls java with the appropriate
> options/classpath.

Compiling it with just a free javac does not get it into main, as is... it
needs to be run with a free VM too... Having a binary this is no longer a
problem, i.e. there is no need for the free VM... therefore, I would prefer
that.

I am thus looking for something like

cdk-lib (with the .so + the .jar for the same 'library' functionality)
cdk (with the binary executables)
cdk-java (with swing stuff)

> Making a binary would cause problems if the gui stuff
> uses classes from the command-line package.

Rigth, hence my question. The solution to this latter problem, of course, is
to have both a .so library used by the binary, *and* the corresponding .jar
for the GUI stuff...

> Roughly you will end up with:
>
> cdk-java Depends: java-virtual-machine
> cdk-gui-java Depends: cdk-java, java2-swing (or whatever).

Thus getting something like:

cdk-lib
  Depends: (empty because of .so part)
  Suggests: java-virtual-machine (for .jar part)
  Build-Depends: java1-compiler
cdk
  Depends:
  Build-Depends: java1-compiler