Re: How to package part of Java tool as binary? (Was: Debian/Java)

There are more than one ways to do this. My suggestion is to have two
packages:

cdk-java (command line)
cdk-gui-java (swing stuff)

the command line package needs to be compilable with a free javac (gij,
jikes etc). As for the binary I don't think it provides any real benefit
besides a slightly reduced startup time (and even that is not always the
case). Just make a wrapper script that calls java with the appropriate
options/classpath. Making a binary would cause problems if the gui stuff
uses classes from the command-line package.

Roughly you will end up with:

cdk-java Depends: java-virtual-machine
cdk-gui-java Depends: cdk-java, java2-swing (or whatever).

On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 22:07, Egon Willighagen wrote:
> On Thursday 10 April 2003 04:53, Michael Hackett wrote:
> > On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 08:50:15 +0200
> > Egon Willighagen <egonw@sci.kun.nl> wrote:
> > > - or maybe even a CD image as an add on for Debian (including the
> > > Blackdown  stuff)
> > > - a Build-Java-software-on-Debian-HOWTO (including chapters like "how
> > > to use eclipse", "how to compile ProgramX with gcj", "how to run
> > > ProgramY with sablevm", etc, possibly/likely to use existing FDL
> > > documentation)
> >
> > I think these would be quite valuable, speaking as someone who is
> > finding it difficult to sort through the Java options. Also, I've read a
> > little about some Java apps being available as binaries compiled with
> > gcj, such that they are completely free, but these do not appear to be
> > packaged for Debian yet. That's something I would really like to see.
>
> Yes, me too as a developer... But I do not how I should put this in a Debian
> package.
>
> So, here's the question to all Debian/Java people:
>
> Consider this software (cdk.sourceforge.net), The Chemistry Development Kit.
> It has GUI stuff that cannot be run without a good VM, certainly not with gij.
> But it also contains command line utilities which I would like to compile with
> gcj...
>
> Now comes the packeging stuff... it would be nice to put those binary command
> line utilities into a separate package, in order the get more flexible run
> dependencies... i.e. no java2-swing, or java1 whatsoever for the binary
> command line utilities... However, that package would contain the same
> functionality as an other package, i.e. the libraries.
>
> Are there Debian packages yet, that are partly binary, partly java byte code?
>
> > The rest of it sort of went over my head, as I'm still pretty new to
> > most of the Debian process.
>
> Well, the project I propose should be a distribution channel for information
> about using Java on Debian. So basically, you're target audience, so keep the
> input flowing...
>
> Egon

Nicos