Debian/Java

Hi all,

more and more Java software is getting packaged as Debian binaries.
Which I think is excellent, being a Debian user writing Java software.

My main problem now and then is, to see what Debian all has to offer,
which is a lot, actually too much for me to comprehend. There is the
Blackdown J2SE VM, which is outside Debian, e.g. which I tend to need
because my lack of experience with the free VMs. Compiling with jikes
is ok, and sometimes even gcj works fine (for non graphical stuff).
But what about all those other nice initiatives.

So, here are my thoughts about this...

Are there other people interested in setting up a Debian/Alioth project
that should centralize the various Debian/Java efforts? This project would
involve:

- a dh_java program (to determine which Debian packages can fullfill imports,
  I've go a prototype for this)
- a task for java pieces
- or maybe even a CD image as an add on for Debian (including the Blackdown
  stuff)
- a Build-Java-software-on-Debian-HOWTO (including chapters like "how to use
  eclipse", "how to compile ProgramX with gcj", "how to run ProgramY with
  sablevm", etc, possibly/likely to use existing FDL documentation)
- a project to determine/write down what is 'missing' in this Debian/Java
  (leading to implementations solving those ommissions)
- a repository of java debian packages that are not yet in Debian

Ideas? Suggestions?

Personally, I like the CD image with a Java Addon for Debian most.

Egon