Re: Eclipse2.1RC1 package

Hello,

* Takashi Okamoto <toraneko@kun.ne.jp> wrote:
> I uploaded new eclipse package. Please check here:
> But I think it's optional and it's the time to upload eclipse
> into sid. If you don't think so, please give me comments.

I used 'apt-get source -b eclipse' to build the packages for my
woody box with backported versions of all the required libs (not
sure if all that was nesseserry, in the middle of the whole
process I got fed up and used
http://mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woody
backports of gnome2.2). Anyway, here are some comments:

* The debian/rules did not recognise my JAVA_HOME, which was set to
/usr/lib/j2se/1.4/, I had to change the file by hand. That is the
latest blackdown java sdk. I also had to put a symlink from
/usr/bin/jar to /bin/jar.

* Please provide a directory in /usr/local, where one can install
plugins, without the need to put it into /usr/lib/eclipse.

The way to do that is to put a '.link' file into the subdir
/usr/lib/eclipse/links with content
|path=/usr/local/ext_plugins
(only one entry, but more than one file, normal java properties file)

The referenced dir must have the same structure than the eclipse
dir:
ext_plugins/eclipse/
             -> plugins
	     -> features

Now new plugins can be installed there. Maybe that could also be
used to make a link to a $HOME based plugin dir
(echo "path=$HOME/.eclipse" > .../links/.user).

This would also solve the problem with the eclipse update manager:
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/~checkout~/platform-update-home/doc/products-and-extension.html
-> Characteristics of extensions:
[...]
* an extension is updated by a native installer or by the Eclipse
  update manager
[...]

http://eclipsewiki.swiki.net/131
http://home.nyc.rr.com/olegs/eclipse/antscript/readme.htm

* Eclipse has a lot of command args, like for example
-debug and the whole --vmargs (I usually put a -Xmx256M there...).
It would be great to have a config or eclipserc file for that. As a
developper you also may have different jdks installed and maybe the
one to execute eclipse is a different one than the one linked to
/usr/bin/java.

Anyway, thanks a lot for this packages! I'm looking forward to
install eclipse via debs from now on. :) It would be great if you
could keep the repository for woody users...

Jan