Re: Supporting CLASSPATH for /etc/alternatives/java

At least sablevm is providing an alternative for "java", but does not seem to look at the CLASSPATH. I was thinking about reporting this as a bug, but it would make more sense to clarify that issue in the policy.
Not true, at least in unstable.

I did install 1.0.6 by forcing the dependancy on libc6. Behaviour is the same:

/usr/bin/sablevm does not honor CLASSPATH nor -classpath. But /usr/lib/sablevm/bin/java, which is used as the alternative, does. So for me everything is OK, which is why I closed the bug. My mistake was trying to manually use /usr/bin/sablevm as a drop-in replacement for Java, which it is not.

BTW: Is there any documentation where I could learn about all the
options that 'java' command should understand (and how they should
be used)? [0] I'd really love to see a pointer. Thanks.

The doc for java 1.4 from Sun: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/tooldocs/linux/java.html

The problem is that command line options from Sun are a moving target (ex: -ea for assertions in 1.4, -X options). Is it worth agreing on a minimum, to include in the policy? In any case, I am still advocating for adding a reference to CLASSPATH, since it is not a command-line option.

Daniel