Sun's java SDK on Debian Woody.

This is just my personal experience, hope it helps someone.

-
How to install Sun?s Java sdk on Debian woody.

	This is my personal experience on how you should go about installing Sun?s Sdk on woody linux. First of all we must forget about using apt-get because there?s no good way of installing this way with sun, www.blackdown.org has a method but it doesn?t work with the woody version of linux.

	First we?ll need the following file:

	j2sdk-1_4_1_01-linux-i586.bin

	Which we can download from http://java.sun.com , remember this is the SDK, not the JRE.

If we want an easy installation we will save this file to /usr/local/bin. This way we won?t have to create new paths.

	When the file?s downloaded we?ll have to execute it, type:

        $ /.j2sdk-1_4_1_01-linux-i586.bin
        or
        $ bash j2sdk-1_4_1_01-linux-i586.bin

        We will have to read the contract, if we accept it we?ll type ?yes? and the installation will begin. Now we?ll have a new directory in /usr/local/bin which is the directory with the name j2sdk1.4.1_01.

        We will now create the necessary links typing this into the console:

        $ ln -s /usr/local/bin/j2sdk1.4.1_01/bin* /usr/bin

         And it?s done! We can now type:

        $ java -version

          And we will be able to see the sun product version. We have successfully installed sun?s SDK on a woody linux system.

José María Arrando
jsm@grupobbva.net