Re: eclipse packages for !i386 platforms for sarge release

Hallo Per,

* Per Bothner wrote:
>However, eclipse will run on gcj:

Yes, I'm aware of that. Unfortunatelly, they use a patched gij/gcj, which
is not available in debian yet (AFAIK, they have a branch, which is
not completly integrated into HEAD yet. At least that was the message
some weeks ago). They also patched eclipse a bit and AFAIK, they
haven't made the patches available.

Also, I have to either compile it to native, which I probably will not
do, at least not without creating a new package for the 'normal' JIT
based eclipse. Or I will have to run it woth gij, which is AFAIK
interpreter only mode (I've no idea, how it competes with JIT,
though). Right now, the gij just crashes after about a minute of >90%
CPU...

To sum it up: *Right now* I have more hope on kaffe doing the job than
gij. Also, the next eclipse version 3.0 (which is next on my TODO)
will require 1.4 complient JDKs, and I'm not sure, how far the free
JDK are (I guess most can be done with including certain API) in that
respect.

Jan
--
Jan Schulz                     jasc@gmx.net