Re: [ANN] New version of j2se-package (formerly mpkg-j2sdk)

Hallo Hubert,

* Hubert Schmid wrote:
>j2se-package creates a (binary) Debian package from an upstream binary
>Java(TM) 2 SDK or RE distribution, in order to easily install the
>non-free Java VMs on Debian machines.

nitpick: I find the mpkg-* idea better :) What about mpkg-java or
mpkg-j2se? At least it make sit clear that a package is created.

>The new version works as follows:
> - For each upstream release from each vendor, there is a "peer"-package,
>   that does the required stuff to integrate the package into debian.
>   Currently it only updates alternatives, but it may also contain wrapper
>   scripts, menu entries, etc.

This sounds great. I was about to write some patches, which would allow
'plugin able' vendor and version specifc parts of the mpkg-j2sdk
script, but this seems great from first look. BTW: would you mind to
support the proposed java policy? Some parts were written with
mpkg.java in mind, so it would be great if the proposed things could
happen with it :) You can get the proposed policy from
deb http://www.katzien.de/debian/java ./
-> new-java-policy

I'm downloading your new packages right now and will try to get some
patches to you for this. I hope you will accept them.

If you would tell me which version you will do next, Icould help you
with that. I have a IBM 1.4 JDK here, which I would like to debianize...

>The advantage of this separation is, that the most problems can be easily
>fixed in the peer-package and the user doesn't need rebuild the binary
>package each time.

True.

It would be nice, if the whole packages could be merged into one source
package.

Please don't hesitate to ask for help. I have some interest in seeing
this package making it into debian, completly with support for the
proposed policy.

Jan
--
Jan Schulz                     jasc@gmx.net