tomcat apache and ALL their friends

Could someone please explain to me, I'm currently just a bit confused, why tomcat is now is multiple peices?
Also, what peices do I really need to have? Why does it feel the need to install what seems like EVERY java or java-like package?
Does this new scheme require going to apache2 to make it work since there is not a libapache-mod-jk that I can find?

Sorry I've not been keeping up on the world of Debian java.
I really appreciate any information anyone can forward along.

J. R. Westmoreland

--
J.R. Westmoreland  (W7JR)
E-mail: jr@jrw.org