Re: findjava requirement

We want Java programs to run the interpreter using a common commandline
and directory layout. Many Java programs rely on the JAVA_HOME layout
even though it is an ill-defined non-standard. The path of least
resistance is to formalize a definition of this standard and then tune
up the behavior of packages that deviate from calling it.

For instance, I can now set JAVA_HOME on my machine to /usr/lib/kaffe
and run the standard startup scripts for Catalina, JBoss or OFBiz and
they will make a real attempt to run. Of course, there are still
shortfalls in the base class libraries but that is a different problem.

SableVM could provide a /usr/lib/sablevm/jre directory that linked
together the various binaries and jars into a facsimile of the JAVA_HOME
non-standard. The /usr/lib/sablevm/jre/bin/java script should do
whatever is necessary to adapt the "standard" Java commandline options
to SableVM's.

It seems to me that findjava is trying to merge all of the VM adapter
scripts into a single large script. That looks broken to me both in
terms of introducing unnecessary dependencies and creating maintenance
headaches for all of the VM maintainers.

Ean Schuessler                                      ean@brainfood.com
Brainfood, Inc.                              http://www.brainfood.com