Re: findjava requirement (was: 4. RfD for a new debian java policy)

Hallo Ben,

I like academic discusions :)

* Ben Burton wrote:
>> * editors or other interactive things (telnet, www-browser)
>> * different version of the same tool (autoconf, gcc, shells)
>> * apps which do not require commandline apps (x-session-manager)
>> * things which behave the same (x-cursor-theme, awk)
>- Personal usage when running your own Java apps, etc. from the
>command-line; this is essentially usage (1) as described above;

True.

>- Use in startup scripts; this is essentially usage (4), given that
>it will only be used if the package manintainer has already verified
>that it works (and so it's "the same enough").

I think the discussion has made it clear that even sun-java-1.4 would
not be enough, to make sure that its 'the same enough' in all cases.

>I realise that different JVMs have inconsistencies, which is why they
>shouldn't be used blindly in startup scripts unless they're known to work
>(but this has already been resolved).

And this measn that you have to follow the symlinks, which is IMO
something, which simple 'works around' the alternative system.

>But there are many, many apps for which a simple JVM with simple options
>is enough.  In this case when I'm working with Java on my own at the
>command-line I want to have the intuitively named /usr/bin/java on my system.

Yes and that why we still have the 'you may add a alternative for...'

>> The standard JVM should not be used in any package
>Unless it's known to work.  Which you're advocating anyway with
>/etc/findjava's $PREVERRED_VM (which is essentially the same idea,
>i.e,. a system-level standard JVM).

But it has a two advantages: It will be automagically filtered out, if
it doesn't fit (could be done with symlink following) and the user has
a way to overwrite it (which isn't possible with u-a).

>> /usr/bin/java* is only for Hello World.
>This is nonsense.  You cannot just reduce all non-package-related
>non-complex-command-line usages to Hello World.  There are plenty of
>cases in between (which I use on a regular basis).

Ok, this is a point. There is a lot etween 'hello world' and a full
featured app like tomcat, but where will you draw the line?

>> IMO it can be nice to have it. I would like to be able to test more
>> than one package, if I install a new (unfree) VM and would be slighly
>> fed up to type it in every xterm I open. It doesn't really matter if
>> I have to add this to .bash_profile or .findjavarc...
>As you say, this is just as easily done with a personal environment
>variable, though this makes it more difficult to enforce this testing on
>other users of the system (which I claim is a good thing).

Are you happy if we leave out this variable in the initial
'$HOME/.javarc (like this idea), but it will be mentioned in the man
page, together with a big warning, in which cases it should be used.

>Note that this should not be a link to "man findjava", which end-users
>shouldn't care about at all.  Rather a link to "man findjavarc" or
>whatever.

Ok.

>Hmm, given that: it is worth making the config files something more
>obvious like ~/.javarc, /etc/javarc ?  i.e., make them look more like
>global config files that findjava just happens to rely on?

I like the idea, but we have some namespace cluttering then. There
could be the idea, that any 'java' needs a javarc as well and then we
are in trouble...

So are you satisfied with my scripts? Any bugs found?

Jan
--
Jan Schulz                     jasc@gmx.net
     "Wer nicht fragt, bleibt dumm."