Re: Installing non-debian java tar

Hallo wcrowshaw,

* wcrowshaw@yahoo.com wrote:
>Installing a non-debian java tar has proven to be
>quite a pain in the ass on Debian woody.

It's not only a PITA on woody...

>While I had it set up  and running pretty well, my set up
>pretty much gets messed up everytime I run dselect.

Please see the current debian policy proposal discussion in this ML.
It tries to adress this issues. In the end, such 'unfree' JVM should
be installed via a installer script, which sets up the right things.
Currently mpkg-j2sdk is not working with IBM java 1.4, but after the
proposal becomes clearer, I will try top get patches for mpkg-j2sdk to
the maintainer and get it inclued in debian.

>JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/IBMJava2-ppc-141

JAVA_HOME is only used by "some" packages. Debian packages "must not"
rely on environment variables.

I can't really say something to the rest, as I haven't seen this
errors. Sorry...

Jan
--
Jan Schulz                     jasc@gmx.net