Re: Installing non-debian java tar

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 wcrowshaw@yahoo.com wrote:

> Installing a non-debian java tar has proven to be
> quite a pain in the ass on Debian woody.  I had to
> go with the tar file because IBM is the only java
> distribution that offers Java 1.4 for a PowerPC.
> (sadly).
>
> While I had it set up  and running pretty well, my set up
> pretty much gets messed up everytime I run dselect.

Hi,

I'm not sure what is the cause of this but I would guess it comes from
mixing your manual java installation with system things maintained with
dselect. I use manually installed javas for many years and they work
well. After installing them into /usr/local, I create a shell script
script which contains all the settings needed to run java from this
particular version (yes, sometimes I have more than one installed -
different vendors, different versions etc).

Example (from my harddrive):
- - Blackdown's JDK 1.4.1 installed into /usr/local/j2sdk1.4.1_blackdown:

=>  (1002 2): ls /usr/local/j2sdk1.4.1_blackdown/
COPYRIGHT  LICENSE  README.html  demo/  include/  lib/  src.zip
INSTALL    README   bin/         docs/  jre/      man/

For every tar with every jdk the installation procedure is slightly
different but as you see, the idea here is to keep this stuff together
under one directory. And the other stuff (say, jdk 1.3 from Sun) under yet
another directory. And so on.

Now, here is the script:

        ============= CUT HERE =============
export JDK_HOME=/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.1_blackdown
export JDK_PATH=$JDK_HOME/bin

# why I need this line? I don't really know, but it obviously doesn't hurt
export JDK_LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$JDK_HOME/jre/lib/i386/green_threads:$JDK_HOME/jre/li
b/i386

export PATH=$JDK_PATH:$PATH
        ============= CUT HERE =============

I source it every time I want to use jdk 1.4.1 from Blackdown. Of course,
manual sourcing is a lot of work (nope, I'm joking) but this way I can
have one or more jdk's working in different rxvts so I can quickly check
how the things work. If you don't need more than one then you only need
to have those lines included in your personal bashrc (but not the
system-wide and not the one for root).

Actually I think my way is better than sticking those settings into
bashrc, because now I have very strong control and I can be more certain
that jdk is isolated from the part of system maintained by dpkg. Dpkg and
other bots cannot mess with something they don't look for, right? I don't
link from /usr/local/j2sdk1.4.1_blackdown to other dirs like /usr/bin or
/etc/alternatives. If you install anything that depends on dummy java,
good. No problem with this, I suppose.

In the above example I assumed that you:
- - use bash as your working shell
- - don't run java programs as root (there is probably no need for this and
if you know any such program than I would source, not stick)
- - work with java as yet another user from time to time

I also assumed that my script works :-). Frankly, I use it but not during
last two months so maybe you'll have to make it work on your computer.

I have also made a number of unintentional assumptions that I was not
aware of and which will make my advice unusable on any "not mine" computer
:-).

However, now you can try to isolate the source of your problem. Does
manually-installed java work? And so on.

bye
T.

- --
** Tomasz Rola          mailto:tomasz_rola@bigfoot.com             **