is it OK to compile with Sun's JDK?

Hi all,

I am a little confused with the discussion about what is free and not free when it comes to Java. Could someone tell me, if I use Sun's Java 1.4.x SDK on Debian to byte-compile some .java files, will I have to pay Sun some royalty in order to use the compiled program? I thought Sun is making the SDK available for free in order to promote Java against .NET.

Thanks