Re: [PROPOSAL] New Virtual Packages and way to handle Classpath

Hallo Jan,

--- Jan Schulz <jasc.usenet@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hallo Ean,
>
> * Ean Schuessler wrote:

> >The problem is that "java2-runtime-<spec-version>" doesn't really
> >provide anything more than "j2re1.4". It is just a wordier way to refer
> >to Sun and IBM's VM, neither of which can actually be distributed by
> >Debian.
>
> The problem is, that this JVM can be installed and will often be a
> better choice (apache with tomcat and full load on kaffe?). This
> interface is for such a case.

tomcat3 has been known to work on kaffe fine for quite a while. Tomcat4 I
haven' tried recently. Jetty should work fine with kaffe 1.1.1.

Why shouldn't the user determine the better choice himself?

> Currently you forbit this, as you only know where the BD package put
> their java and so it will break if you have sun-java packaged
> (mpkg-j2sdk) and instaleld with that name.

Can't the maintainers of Blackdown Java and mpkg-j2sdk resolve this naming
issue among themselves? ;)

> >Kaffe is actually mostly compatible with the JAVA_HOME "standard" now
> >that I use symlinks for Debian compatibility. It might be worth making
> >the JAVA_HOME structure part of Debian policy. GCJ and friends could
> >create some simulation of it by symlinking stuff into a fake JAVA_HOME
> >structure.
>
> I much for this, but it will need 'protection', so that this system
> prevents to mistake kaffe for a sun compatible JVM-1.4.

Could you elaborate on this one, as in give an example where kaffe can be
mistaken for Sun's JVM 1.4 why such protection is needed?

cheers,
dalibor topic