Re: [PROPOSAL] New Virtual Packages and way to handle Classpath

Hallo Dalibor,

* Dalibor Topic wrote:
>> So when I write
>> kaffe -bootclasspath xerces.jar .. -cp ... Main
>> I can't do it, because its against the GPL/whetever License?
>I'm not sure. Technically of course you can do it, but I don't think you can
>distribute the resulting work. So when your bootclasspath script modifies the
>boot class path, it effectively changes what classes link to each other. The
>FSF has a very strong position on it: GPL propagates through class usage. See
>the thread starting at
>http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2002-August/040251.html for some

I've read that thread and as far as I understood it (my brain shuts
down on this things... whoever made licenses viral should be sued for
the braindamage in my head.), I haven't found such a thing.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfInterpreterIsGPL states
that such things happen when you use JNI with GPL code. Anyway, I'm
neither a laywer, nor in any way experienced enough with such a
question.

*IF* thats the case, then we have to treat kaffe almost completely
apart from every other javaVM. As there are a lot of unfree libraries
which can be pulled in via such nice things as Class.forName()
(eclipse plugins, ant tasks for example), I'm not sure, if that is
even controlable in any case.

If we have kaffe, ant can be run with it and the users then installs a
non-free ant task and uses it. Who will be sued?

How can the API be actually differently licensed than the sun
one?

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#OOPLang -> every class
extends java.lang.Object -> boom.

>information on different interpretations. As I said, it's up to
>debian-legal to figure out whether your bootclasspath scripts don;t
>violate licenses, IANAL.

If this whole is true, than we should fork this thread to debian-legal
and ask there...

BTW, why is bootclasspath any different from classpath? As far as I
understood it, the only difference is the position, where the libs are
included (bootclasspath, internal, bootclasspath) and so which version
is found when a app wants to get a instance of a class.

Other options?

Jan
--
Jan Schulz                     jasc@gmx.net