Re: [PROPOSAL] New Virtual Packages and way to handle Classpath

Hallo Jan,

--- Jan Schulz <jasc.usenet@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hallo Dalibor,

> >My gut feeling is that one needs to be very careful as a distributor of
> >copyrighted works not to create derived works that violate the licenses of
> >involved works. Adding missing classes to kaffe's bootclasspath from Sun's
> >rt.jar for example, would violate the GPL. It may work for other VMs, I
> don't
> >know, but I doubt that Sun's distribution terms allow it.
>
> So that basicly means, tat you have to reimplement everything by hand
> and can't uses things like xerces?

No. You can still use xt or saxon ;)

> So when I write
> kaffe -bootclasspath xerces.jar .. -cp ... Main
> I can't do it, because its against the GPL/whetever License?

I'm not sure. Technically of course you can do it, but I don't think you can
distribute the resulting work. So when your bootclasspath script modifies the
boot class path, it effectively changes what classes link to each other. The
FSF has a very strong position on it: GPL propagates through class usage. See
the thread starting at
http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2002-August/040251.html for some
information on different interpretations. As I said, it's up to debian-legal to
figure out whether your bootclasspath scripts don;t violate licenses, IANAL.

cheers,
dalibor topic