Re: [PROPOSAL] dh_ant

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 03:45:08PM +0200, Stefan Gybas wrote:
> Andrew Pimlott wrote:
>
> >You might want official builds to always use the same compiler, but
> >there's no reason not to make it convenient for others to use their
> >preferred compiler.  Especially when the preferred compiler is
> >proprietary.  We should be moving away from hard-coding knowledge
> >about the compiler and its implementation details (like JAVA_HOME).
>
> What is your suggestion for debian/rules? How can we ensure the same
> environment for official builds (buildd, NMUs, ...) and let the user
> specify his preferred compiler for local builds? Please remember that
> debian/rules must comply with the Debian Policy.

I'm not sure.  One possibility is simply to assume that the correct
packages will be installed when an official build is done.  This
already happens to some extent with C programs, because they just
assume that the current official compiler is "gcc".  Since most Java
packages will only be built on the maintainer's system, this isn't a
terrible scheme.  You could add a warning if the official build
environment is not being used, to catch mistakes.

If nothing else, you could put a variable
FORCE_OFFICIAL_BUILD_DEPENDENCIES=1 at the top of debian/rules, and
let people unset it.  It would be nice if something like this became
standard for all packages.

Andrew